In this blog, we list the nine best rechargeable AA batteries for solar lights and also teach you how to choose the best one.
- NiMH Rechargeable AA Battery for Solar Lights
- EBL AA Rechargeable Batteries for Solar Lights
- Tenergy AA Rechargeable Battery Pack for Solar Lights
- Relightable AA NiCd Rechargeable Batteries for Solar Lights
- Geilienergy Solar Light AA Ni-CD 1.2V Rechargeable Batteries
- Powerowl Rechargeable AA Batteries Solar Lights
- Kinsun 8-Pack Rechargeable Battery Solar Garden Light
- HENREEPOW Ni-MH AA Rechargeable Batteries
- Nickel Cadmium (NiCd) Solar Light AA Batteries
Small solar lights that are commonly used in the garden, backyard, along pathways and other places are frequently powered by AA rechargeable batteries.
Rechargeable batteries for solar lights should have a wide temperature range for charging and discharging, support a lot of charging/discharging cycles, support charging with different currents, and be similarly safe to use.
Best Rechargeable AA Batteries for Solar Lights
NiMH Rechargeable AA Battery for Solar Lights
NiMH batteries feature a nominal voltage of 1.2V and a nominal capacity in the 700-2800 range. However, because NiMH solar light AA batteries must be ruggedized for outdoor use, they typically have a capacity in the 1000–1500 mAh range.
If You are tempted to place large-capacity NiMH batteries in your solar lights, especially during long summer days, these batteries will probably be fully recharged in the evening and will power solar lights through the night easily.
However, these batteries won’t last for very long; occasionally, they only last a few months, and in extremely hot weather, they only last a few weeks because they get simply cooked. So, always choose NiMH solar light battery models that are marked as such when shopping.
EBL AA Rechargeable Batteries for Solar Lights
The biggest battery pack size is available from EBL batteries, which also have a high battery rating. There are a whopping 20 batteries in their box, which is a lot.
1100 mAh rating of each battery in this pack indicates a respectable battery backup. The fact that these batteries include a case for carrying them makes them special.
Tenergy AA Rechargeable Battery Pack for Solar Lights
Tenergy provides rechargeable AA batteries for solar lights at a marginally lower cost than competing brands. This is for people who are on a tight budget.
The Tenergy batteries provide you with a decent number of 12 batteries in the box. 1000 mAh capacity and a 12-month warranty are provided for these batteries.
Relightable AA NiCd Rechargeable Batteries for Solar Lights
The best long-lasting rechargeable batteries for solar lights are typically made by the Relightable company. Relightable comes in a much larger pack than similar products. There are 20 batteries altogether in the box.
However, these batteries have a very low capacity of 600 mAh, which results in short battery life. There isn’t even a warranty for these batteries.
Geilienergy Solar Light AA Ni-CD 1.2V Rechargeable Batteries
You can also use batteries from the Geilienergy brand to power solar lights. It provides many batteries in a pack. You will find around 20 batteries in a box which is pretty decent considering the price point.
They only have a 600 mAh capacity rating, so their battery life is inadequate. They do, however, come with a 2-year warranty.
Also read: Do Solar Lights Need Batteries?
Powerowl Rechargeable AA Batteries Solar Lights
High-performance batteries are provided by Powerowl, but they are somewhat pricey. These batteries have a battery capacity of 2800 mAh. In this company’s box, you receive about 12 batteries.
Moreover, these batteries have a 3-year warranty. They are also extremely reliable and strong.
Kinsun 8-Pack Rechargeable Battery Solar Garden Light
For solar lights, Kinsun is a lesser-known brand that sells batteries at a reasonable price. These batteries have a respectable 900 mAh battery capacity, which while not very high, is adequate for you.
The pack size of these batteries is a bit small, there are 8 batteries in a box. These batteries come with a one-year warranty from the manufacturer.
HENREEPOW Ni-MH AA Rechargeable Batteries
Rechargeable AA batteries for solar lights are typically offered by the HENREEPOW brand. Their Ni-MH AA rechargeable batteries have a capacity rating of 1300 mAh and offer strong performance. Solar-powered lights or conventional charging devices can both be used to recharge these batteries. They are dependable, secure, and long-lasting.
They offer up to 1200 recharges per battery. In this company’s box, there are 12 batteries and they have a 1-year warranty. These batteries work with many electric devices that take AA batteries, including mice, keyboards, calculators, remote controls, and toys.
Nickel Cadmium (NiCd) Solar Light AA Batteries
Due to the cadmium content of NiCd batteries and the fact that NiMH batteries typically have higher capacities and support more charging/discharging cycles, NiMH batteries are gradually replacing NiCd batteries in many applications. Also, modern NiMH batteries don’t suffer from memory effects like NiCd batteries, and they have a lower self-discharge rate.
Despite this, NiCd batteries are relatively inexpensive, and dependable (as long as they function), and their self-discharge rate is unimportant for applications where they are charged and discharged frequently.
Good NiCd solar light batteries have a nominal voltage of 1.2V and a nominal capacity of 800-1100 mAh; because they do not need to supply large currents, they are available as high-capacity NiCd batteries.
How to Choose the Best Rechargeable AA Batteries for Solar Lights?
The market has a variety of options available, each battery possessing different & unique features. So, people frequently find themselves in a predicament and wonder which one to purchase. The following factors will help you differentiate the best solar light batteries for you:
- Battery Capacity: The rate of capacity varies for each solar battery. Choose a device that can use the most amount of power possible while it is in operation. Calculate the average output of a battery, multiply it by the number of days you want it to operate without recharging, and that number will give you the ideal battery capacity you require.
- Battery Durability: The batteries for solar lights must be able to tackle magnetic fields, vibration, humidity, temperatures, and other external factors without affecting their performance; so search for one that caters to these issues.
- Battery Shelf Life: Solar batteries come in a variety of shelf lives from various manufacturers. Choose a battery that offers the longest shelf life and charge cycle possible to ensure long-term use.
- Safety: Batteries must be able to withstand high pressure and temperatures without blowing up or malfunctioning. The best rechargeable batteries for solar lights come with safety certification. These legally mandated safety requirements must be followed by the manufacturers.
- Chemistry: Batteries are all about chemistry and thus it is an important factor you need to consider while purchasing one. Different materials have various characteristics. To extend the battery’s potential and life, you must comprehend how each material functions.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Solar Light Batteries
Before purchasing solar light batteries, one should be aware of both the advantages (Pros) and disadvantages (Cons) of doing so. Here we explained them in detail. Let’s check it out.
- Cost Saving – There is no power or electricity needed to illuminate these lights because the batteries in solar lights will store solar energy with the aid of a solar panel. As a result, you can cut your energy costs significantly.
- Accessible – These batteries vary in size and design and can be available easily in various stores. You can easily find these batteries in most stores because these lights are quite helpful in power outages and other emergencies.
- Dependable Performance – The best option for use in lighting emergencies, such as when the power goes out, is batteries because they operate in any weather. All you have to do is connect a single or a pair of cells to your device, allowing the battery to provide enough power for it to function as intended.
- Eco-Friendly – The sun’s renewable energy is captured by the batteries. As a result, it encourages clean air without releasing any toxic chemicals or pollutants into the environment until they are properly disposed of. Therefore, it is convenient and safe for both the earth and humans to use these batteries.
- Portable Energy Source – Solar batteries typically don’t require wiring or a cord to function. This lets you carry them anywhere easily in your bags or pockets as ready-to-use power sources.
- Lifespan – These batteries for solar lights have recharge counts that range from 500 to 1000, so they should last for at least a year or two. Several high-end models come with a remarkable three-year lifespan.
Although not all batteries will have these issues, these are still general drawbacks of batteries.
- Safety Issues – The batteries could explode and become dangerous if you don’t use them correctly. Overheat or overcharging of the battery cells will tend to burst or malfunction.
- Expensive – With the exception of prolonged darkness or overcast days, using the batteries’ stored solar energy won’t cost you a penny. You must purchase ready-to-use power cells if the sunlight is insufficient to illuminate solar lights or other devices. Some of these batteries are pricey depending on their size and frequency.
- Harmful to Earth – These batteries are made with materials like lithium, lead, mercury, and cadmium, which, if not disposed of or recycled properly, pollute soil and water. As a result, the earth suffers some damage and is put in danger.
- Replacement – Even though these batteries can be recharged to extend their useful lives, the cells still need to be changed at least once a year. It will be a hassle to replace those batteries on a regular basis in addition to costing the user more money.
Conclusion: Best Rechargeable AA Batteries for Solar Lights
It is a commendable step to move toward green energy technologies. Solar light is one of the many devices present in the market. It has a specific system that supports its operation, and a rechargeable battery is a crucial component of that system.
The best batteries for solar lights are also covered in this blog’s buyer’s guide. And based on all this information, we present our favorite recommendations:
- While there might be a lot of batteries for solar lights with long power backups, the Powerowl batteries For SolarLights take it to the next level. You get a 2800 mAh battery capacity with these batteries, which is a very high battery capacity. Because of the three-year warranty, these batteries are also very dependable. Additionally, you receive a respectable 12 batteries in the box for an acceptable price.
- Those of you who want even more batteries in the box for an even higher value for money can consider the EBL batteries For Solar Lights. These batteries come in a very large pack size of 20 batteries. The battery life rating provided by this light is also quite good for the price because it has a respectable capacity of 1100 mAh.
Shall We Use Regular AA Batteries in Solar Lights?
It won’t be a better idea to use those regular AA batteries in your solar lights. Why because alkaline batteries will power the light for less time, and they die. Solar lights typically require batteries to be charged during the daytime and then use that power (stored energy) to illuminate the lights at night. Therefore, the best option for storing the energy and using it to perfectly light those LEDs is to use rechargeable batteries.
Are All the Batteries Compatible With Solar Lights?
No, not all batteries can be used with solar lights. To determine the best compatible battery model for your solar lights, it is crucial to first check the instruction manual or battery compartment of your product or conduct online research.
How to Install and Use These Rechargeable Batteries?
The same method we use to install and operate regular rechargeable batteries. But be sure to review the manufacturer’s specifications. To properly install these replacements and rechargeable batteries, you can refer to the instructions provided in the user manual (or) on the solar lights.